Mysti Mayhem on SellaBand
Google
 
Web Harry on Things

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Changing Habits to Reach Goal Realization

by Pena Gaharu

Self Help Guide

Sometimes we have to change our habits to reach goals or to realize what our goals are in life. Habits are often created, i.e. habits are customs, routines, practices, traditions, conventions, and patterns. Habits are also tendencies, preferences, inclinations, likes, leanings, and fondness.

Habits are addicting, problematic and lead to dependency. Thus, changing habits can sometimes work in your favor. To help you learn your habits, let’s sit down, relax, and do a checklist.

My habits:
Smoke
Drink
Isolate
Workaholic
Loyal to Breakfast
Pull hair
Sometimes jump to react


While this is my set of habits, we can see that several of the habits are harmful and could stop me from reaching my goals. Still, I have achieved many goals and have achieved goals I did not intend to achieve; I still have other goals to achieve. How can my habits hinder me? As you can see drinking is not bad, but I went to drinking obsessively it could hinder my progress. Therefore, I want to monitor my actions and habits to make sure I do not exceed my limits. Of course, I do not drink everyday, but if I was to stress out it could lead to a day of drunk. To avoid that again I need to monitor my moods, habits, and feelings before drinking.

Sometimes I isolate self, which is not all bad. People can hinder us from reaching our goals still we need moderation. Thus, I plan days and visit friends, go canoeing and the like so I do not feel a threat of my habit.

Smoking is my worst habit, since smoking can affect my health; therefore, I need to work toward stopping the habit. I can do this by practicing new habits that are healthy.

Workaholic poses no threat to me, since I am working hard to reach my goals and have boundaries that I adhere to. Sometimes I jump to react which is a habit I want to work on since it could cause problems.

As you can see, analyzing and evaluating your habits can help you come to realization. Still, one you note the habit it takes working to eliminate, minimize, or else enhance the habit to work in your favor. For instance, my new habits are to eat a hot breakfast each morning. This is a good habit since it promotes health. Not anything that promotes health is a bad habit. Therefore, I can enhance this habit to work on my diet, which could help me loose ten pounds in the next month.

To help you get started and after you write down your habits start telling the truth. If you stumble upon a habit you were unaware of, instead of feeling shocked, accept the habit. If the habit is bad, you want to be honest with self. After you pass honesty, learn to commit self to innovative behaviors. If you practice a new healthy habit, promise you that you will use the habit for here to the course of your life.

Next, move to affirm your new behaviors and intentions. You can do this by visualizing self-acting out on your behavior. Notice the consequences as you see through the changes. If you fear, changes start small and work up to the big changes. This will help you set a pattern, which you can relate.

Next, ask for support or feedback to help you understand the changes. Get help to aid you in seeing the realization of your habits. The last step in learning, developing new habits and the like is to practice each day your new habit and avoid reproaching self. This will help you grow to goal realization.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home